* 2000 presidential debate: Vice President Al Gore awkwardly walked up to Texas Gov. George W. Bush’s podium in one debate, seemingly trying to intimidate but getting only a brief nod from his opponent as he insisted on hearing Bush’s opinion on “the Dingell-Norwood bill.”
* 2000 New York Senate debate: The Senate campaign of Rep. Rick Lazio (R-N.Y.) all but collapsed when he walked over to former First Lady Hillary Clinton’s podium with a piece of paper and demanded she sign a pledge against soft money. Lazio came off as bullying and inappropriate.
* 2006 NM-01 debate: New Mexico Attorney General Patricia Madrid (D) stumbled badly in response to a pretty basic policy question — a gaffe that made it into a devastating ad for victorious Rep. Heather Wilson (R).
* 2008 Democratic primary debate: Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) talks about seeing a UFO. Hey, Jimmy Carter saw one too!
* 2010 Arizona governor’s debate: Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R) was silent for nearly ten seconds during her own opening statement, appearing to completely forget her prepared remarks.